...I'll have the soup

Monday, March 30, 2009

Tomato Basil




Just the way it should be.

It comes to the table in a huge, shallow bowl.

A rich cardinal hue, heaping stewed tomatoes on the surface brim with chopped, fresh basil that teases the soft, juicy flesh in a delicate, thin broth teeming with a hint of black pepper, salt. The simplicity allows the basil to breathe.  A crisped garlic-parmesan crouton completes the presentation, and upon admiration of the attention to detail, crumbles at the touch--compelling the first bite: a smooth, soothing comfort.

It's easy to get lost in this soup, hovering over the mass with a generously designed spoon: enough scoop for large swoops of soup.

I must here divulge that the day after discovering this tomato basil soup, I heard back from the doctor that I had strep throat.  Perhaps the soup's sheer ability to coat the scorching and on a cold, rainy day too, made it that much better.  But I am still convinced that no better tomato basil soup exists; I implore you to bring me a finer show.

Location: Corner Bakery, 1828 L Street, NW
Price: $4.49/bowl, $3.49/cup